Here is the modern, age-old question to consider when you have a new venture, platform, or personality you want to show off to the world: build your own website or hire a website builder to build your website for you.
To decide if you want to build your own website, you first need to consider the skills in your toolbox. What are your strengths? Also, write a list of your weaknesses. If writing and basic graphic design are way outside of your wheelhouse, then you’ll definitely want to hire a designer.
However, many different drop-and-drag websites, such as Squarespace, have amazing templates in which you only need to change out the images and content to make the site your own. There are also graphic creators such as Canva, which make using their templates and blog images a breeze! These tools have made creating your DIY website easier than previous years.
Let’s list the pros and cons of building your own website and hiring a pro to build it for you on a website platform. Here are a few things to consider.
Pros and Cons of Building Your Own Website
There are many pros to building your own site. As mentioned above, you can easily use the drop and drag tools to make graphics and build your site. You don’t need to know how to use the many complicated layers of Photoshop if you want to create your own website. Here are some other pros to DIY your own website.
- You have complete control over the design and functionality of your website
- You can save money by doing it yourself
- You can learn new skills and increase your technical knowledge
However, building a website from scratch may be extremely time-consuming, especially if you are unfamiliar with web development technologies. In addition, you may need to invest in tools and resources, such as a domain name, hosting, and a website builder platform. So if you are not an experienced web developer, you may encounter technical challenges that could be difficult to resolve on your own.
Pros and Cons of Hiring a Website Designer
If you don’t have the creative or technical skills to design your own site, you can always hire a website designer to help you build the site. However, there are definitely advantages to creating your own website, including the following:
- You can get a professional-quality website without having to do the work yourself
- A website builder can handle all the technical aspects of building and maintaining a website, freeing up your time to focus on other tasks
- Get expert advice and guidance on design and functionality to ensure that your website meets your needs and goals
Of course, there are some downsides to building your own website. These include:
- The expense to hire a website builder than to do it yourself
- You may have less control over the design and functionality of your website, as you will be relying on the expertise and decisions of the website builder
Ultimately, the decision to build your own website or hire a website builder will depend on your budget, time constraints, technical skills, and desired level of control over the project. Building your own website can be a rewarding experience if you have the time and technical skills. On the other hand, hiring a website builder may be a more practical option if you are short on time or do not have the necessary skills.
Let Visual Web Group assist your company website in dominating your vertical! We offer video packages to enhance your website SEO. Not sure where to start? Contact us today for a complimentary consultation to see how Visual Web Group can boost your SEO ranking with quality video media to start connecting with your customers today!